Hi, I'm 16 and my underwear are always damp, and

Patient

Q: Hi, I'm 16 and my underwear are always damp, and there's a strong odor. It depends on what time of the month but I have a lot of vaginal discharge and odor at one time and then the dampness of my underwear and odor at the other time. I am not sexually active and I've never had sex but I am on birth control (the one in your arm). I started the birth control yearly in the year but it seems like I have had this problem since I've hit puberty and it's been a constant thing.
What's going on?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

The possibility of vaginal infection is less in nonsexually active women. Vaginal discharge can increase physiologically during conditions like ovulatory period, premenstrual period etc.
As you are not having symptoms like itching, smell etc, more possibly that could be a physiological discharge.
Taking bath and changing inner wear twice a day, using cotton inner wear, avoiding prolonged sitting, constipation etc can decrease the discharge.
If itching, smell etc symptoms develop associated with discharge, better to consult your doctor once and get evaluated.

Take care.