Hi, im 18 years old and i got my blood

Patient

Q: Hi, im 18 years old and i got my blood test done 3 times. Once on Saturday and my hemoglobin was 95. Then again on monday and my hemoglobin was 112. Lastly i took one on Wednesday and my hemoglobin was 109. I started taking my iron pills which are 150mg since Saturday. I take them 3 times a day. I was wondering how long it would take for my hemoglobin to increase to 120 and if i should be taking other medication. Also, what food and drinks do you remmend i just eat or drink.

Doctor

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question.

Hemoglobin, a protein found in red blood cells, carries oxygen from your lungs through your bloodstream to all of your cells. Red blood cells are red because of hemoglobin. The amount of hemoglobin you need is based on age and gender. One cannot tell about the increase in hemoglobin. It will take few weeks to months to completely increase the levels of hemoglobin.

Here are a few tips:
- Eat Iron-Rich Foods
- Increase Vitamin C Intake
- Take Folic Acid
- Beetroots
- Apples
- Blackstrap Molasses.

I hope this will help you. Take care.