Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi, I’m 18 years old and in my dorm we

Hi, I’m 18 years old and in my dorm we

Patient: Hi, I’m 18 years old and in my dorm we were messing around and running. I slipped on a rug and hit my kneek pretty hard on the ground. It hurt really bad, but I just walked it off and the pain stopped. But a couple days ago we were in las vegas for band. After walking around a lot, I noticed my knee hurt when I touch it. Also when I press on the right side of my knee, something moves on the left And it hurts. It doesn’t hurt when I walk, it just feels like I have something touching my knee and moving. What happened? Should I see a doctor, or by a knee brace from the pharmacy? Thanks so much!

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.It seems that you have a muscle strain or a ligament tear. If you are able to walk, the n you almost certainly don’t have a fracture and need not worry.Try these things to help you:Rest the knee. Don’t move it too muchIce the knee for 15 mins every hourCompress the knee with a knee brace or a Crepe bandage to reduce the swellingElevate the knee above the heart level while sleepingTake Paracetamol tablets to help you reduce swellingI hope this helps you. All the best.