Hi I'm a 19 year old male I'm 150 lbs

Q: Hi. I'm a 19 year old male. I'm 150 lbs 5'8. I'm in relatively good shape. Last night I jumped out of a 2 story apartment window and hurt my back. I landed on wet grass, which caused me to slip. Luckily I didn't hit my head, although I did feel an immediate pain in the middle of my back. Like my spine was compressed and popped. I don't think it's popped out of place, because I've received a massage and was told it wasn't. But my neck is extremely stiff, and my back hurts Pretty bad. It's hard to walk around without pain. I've been takng ibuprofen since last night for it, and I've also used ice and heat. What else can I do? Is something seriously wrong? it's swollen and I can feel knots. It's extremely tight and stiff when I move, and occasionally when I'm lying down it hurts without moving. Please get back to me. I tend to over think things and freak myself out about it being something serious .Thank you.

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

Anything pertaining to spine can be serious. The fact that you can move all four limbs and have control over your bowel and bladder suggests that major damage has not occurred. Now the spasm of paraspinal muscles and vertebral column pain will require time to settle down. Until then you will require a complete bed rest for at least 1-2 weeks. There could be plenty of reasons for such a pain like disc prolapse, disc rupture, vertebral fracture, ligament injury or paraspinal muscle spasms. In all the cases further movement should be restricted and full rest should be given. Hot and cold water massage should be continued. {Pain killers like ibuprofen along with muscle relaxant like tizanidine can help.
Do meet your doctor and discuss these options.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health