Hi I’m a 21 year old girl and all of

Patient: Hi… I’m a 21 year old girl and all of a sudden I am getting cramps in my hips and legs. It feels like growing pains but everyone tells me I am too old for that. It is just a dull pain standard basic cramp. Bit there is nothing to massage out. Could it actually be growing pains. I turn 22 in a couple weeks. Aren’t I a little old for that?

Symptoms: Dull pain, cramping

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.Such pains in legs are known as Muscle Cramps. They would requir e evaluation for the cause.Most common cause of such intermittent pains are:1. Electrolyte Imbalances particularly Sodium disturbance.2. Calcium and Vitamin D deficiency3. Levocarnitine deficiency.4. Intermittent Claudication – associated with early-stage peripheral artery diseaseI would advise you to see your doctor, if he feels this is intermittent claudication on clinical background, he will get a Venous Doppler done to rule out any atheromatous plaques. Also, he will get your serum electrolytes, Calcium and Vitamin D levels.If your Doppler comes out to be normal, he would start you on a supplement containing calcium, vitamin D and Levocarnitine.Once started on this supplement you will start getting relief in 2-3 weeks.Also get your blood sugars checked.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy