Hi, I'm a 23 year old female I have history of depression

Patient

Q: Hi, I'm a 23 year old female. I have history of depression since I was about 13. It comes and goes, thought I was doing good but lately I just feel crazy. I've been crying a lot, out of nowhere. Very irritable and not able to focus. I know these are symptoms of depression but could there be any other issues causing this? I notice it's gotten a lot worse around the time of my period. Insomnia...that type of thing. Could I have a hormonal imbalance??

Doctor

Thanks for your question on "Ask The Doctor".

It could be Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is a condition in which a woman has severe depression symptoms, irritability, and tension before menstruation.
Many women with this condition have anxiety, panic attacks and depression.
It could be an episode of moderate depression phase added to your persistent depression.
You are advised to avoid Alcohol abuse, control weight, avoid Drinking large amounts of caffeine.
A healthy lifestyle is the first step to managing depression
Eat healthy foods with more whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and little or no salt, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine.
Get regular aerobic exercise throughout the month to reduce the severity of depressive symptoms.
If you have problems sleeping, try changing your sleep habits before taking medicines for insomnia.
You are requested to visit a psychiatrist who will take detailed history, suggest investigations to rule out diagnosis and He or she may discuss a treatment plan with you.
Antidepressants may be helpful.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) may be used either with or instead of antidepressants. During CBT, you have about 10 visits with a mental health professional over several weeks.

Wish you a good health