Hi I’m almost fifteen, and I’m 5.3′

Patient: Hi. My name is Austin. I’m almost fifteen, and I’m only 5′ 3.75″. All of my friends are taller than I am. I recently went to my doctor for an annual check up, and she tokd me that I hadn’t grown at all since last year. She told me that I may be done growing. This really bothers me, and I was wondering if she might be right.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.Height is constitutional and a lot depends on height of your parents. If you don’t have any medical issues, the height you have is constitutional.Height increases till a age, then it stops increasing as the end of long bones fuse by this time (As you are 15 years old, your long bones end must have not fused by now).If you don’t have any medical problems, i would not suggest you any medicine for that. Some people try hormones, but trust me interfering with hormones of your body can be serious.Since you have no problems, you can just get your thyroid test done, however its unlikely to be a cause.Stay away from Newspaper & TV advertisements claiming to increase you height.Start stretching exercises and eat more of fruits, green leafy vegetables and increase milk products in your diet. Just get your thyroid profile done.Share my opinion with your doctor.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.