Hi I'm asking this question because I don't have


Q: Hi. I'm asking this question because I don't have a doctor's appointment for five days, and I'm quite worried. So I had sex for the first time in four months, and used a condom. After I noticed I was a little sore and there were some bumps around my vaginal opening. I assumed this was just caused by the sex being a little rough. But when I had sex again a couple of days later, again with a condom, it got much worse. Now I'm in a lot of pain, and have 6 or 7 blisters around my vaginal opening. They are around 0.5cm in diameter and yellow with a red border around each one. What could this be? And what can I do to help until I see a doctor?


A:   Hello,
Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
I understand your concern.

Since you used a condom the chance of having developed a STD is low, however, can't be ruled out completely. Especially genital herpes can sometimes be transmitted even when the partner uses a condom if he has active sores at the time of having intercourse.

The more probable cause here is the intercourse after 4 months, the lack of lubrication would have caused the sores. Since you did not give it enough recovery time, you ended up developing blisters. Since you can't meet your doctor for the next 5 days, I will advise you to start applying Mupirocin ointment on the blisters directly 2-3 times daily till you are able to meet your doctor. You should also avoid intercourse till you have the complete recovery from the blisters. You need this ointment to reduce the sores. Since you mentioned yellow with a red border, it seems to be infected. So, you need to start Mupirocin as soon as possible.

If your partner has no active lesion or no previous history of herpes, then the possibilities of STD can be completely ruled out.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,

Related Q&A

Q: Hi i m 25 years old n me n my husband had unprotected sex on the last day of my menstrual cycle ie on 25th Jan n I ha...

Q: Hi i have a slightly low thyroid and iam on medication. i recently wanted to take a amino acid blend, which includes ...

Q: Hi, i live in guyana , about two year ago i found out i have hrdorcephalus and at that time i was 20 years old, howev...

Q: Hi. This is more of a psychologist question that I would like help with. I have this friend that I'm really obsesse...

Q: I am taking Neurorubine - Forte and have experienced lack of eye focus and trembling in the arms ... is this a side a...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon