Hi I'm wondering what respiratory failure to a compression o

Patient

Q: Hi I'm wondering what respiratory failure to a compression of the Brain stem means? Let's say I'm talking about a high profile Rock Star Guitarist who died in 91 by the name of Steve. His official cause of death was respiratory failure due to compression of the brain stem. Reports are that he was an alcoholic and the night he died he went out for a couple drinks. Namely a triple vodka, a quadruple vodka and a double brandy within 30 minutes and was also on pain killers for a cracked rib along with antidepressant medication. Reports also state that the person who found him had said that when discovered, his face was blue and there was blood coming from the mouth. However the lead singer of this particular group stated that he feel asleep and suffocated in his pillow while in a drunken state. I know this is a silly question but please explain to me if these reports are true, what happens and what follows. Thank you so much.

Doctor