Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi! I’m writing you in order to decide whether I should

Hi! I’m writing you in order to decide whether I should

Patient: Hi!I’m writing you in order to decide whether I should have a rabies shot done or not. I’m in the Philippines on a vacation and last night an open wound that I have on my leg (not a big one, it’s already healing) was touched by a cat’s wet nose. I know rabies is endemic here and even if the cat seemed to be fine, I’m wondering if cats can transmit rabies with their wet noses. I wasn’t licked on the wound, only touched by the nose of the cat. Do you think I should seek immediate medical advice and have a shot done? There aren’t any doctors here so I’d have to move to a bigger city, that’s why I’m asking you.Thanks a lot!Anna

Symptoms: I have an open wound that was touched by a cat’s wet nose yesterday

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Cats can’t transmit rabies through t heir wet nose. I can assure you until and unless there is a full fledged bite or a scratch inducing bleeding from your mucous membrane there is no chance of rabies.I appreciate that you are informative and you’re clearing your doubts but there is no concern here. Moreover the chance of getting rabies from cats is extremely minuscule. Dogs and bats are the ones that transmit rabies. So please do not worry anymore.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: Hi,
thanks for your quick answer 🙂 I feel so relieved now.
This service is awesome
Kind regards
Anna

Doctor: Hello,
Thank you for your follow-up.
Kindly leave a feedback with the support team if you are happy with my service.
Best Regards.