Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi Is it ok to go off birth control pills

Hi Is it ok to go off birth control pills

Patient: Hi. Is it ok to go off birth control pills for about 3 months and then start it back again?My partner is going away and I was wondering if it’s a good idea to give my body a break during this time. (I have been taking pills for 6 months now.)Thank you

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.You can try discontinuing the pills, but there could be symptoms of heavy withdrawal bl eeding, irregular cycles and intermenstrual bleeding and spotting and might take 3 to 4 months for your cycles to regularize again. It can also cause some mood changes.Discuss with your gynecologist on how exactly to go about with this.Hope this helped.Regards