Hi Is it ok to go off birth control pills

Patient : Hi. Is it ok to go off birth control pills for about 3 months and then start it back again? My partner is going away and I was wondering if it's a good idea to give my body a break during this time. (I have been taking pills for 6 months now.) Thank you
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. You can try discontinuing the pills, but there could be symptoms of heavy withdrawal bl eeding, irregular cycles and intermenstrual bleeding and spotting and might take 3 to 4 months for your cycles to regularize again. It can also cause some mood changes. Discuss with your gynecologist on how exactly to go about with this. Hope this helped. Regards