Hi Is it ok to go off birth control pills

Patient

Q: Hi. Is it ok to go off birth control pills for about 3 months and then start it back again?
My partner is going away and I was wondering if it's a good idea to give my body a break during this time. (I have been taking pills for 6 months now.)
Thank you

Doctor

You can try discontinuing the pills, but there could be symptoms of heavy withdrawal bleeding, irregular cycles and intermenstrual bleeding and spotting and might take 3 to 4 months for your cycles to regularize again. It can also cause some mood changes.
Discuss with your gynecologist on how exactly to go about with this.

Hope this helped.