Hi my 2 year old got some chloramphenicol ear drops

Q: Hi my 2 year old got some chloramphenicol ear drops 5℅ in his mouth. Not sure if he swollowed any but he was wiping out his mouth and asked for water a little after. The bottle is still pretty full and was closed when he had a hold of it so it might have been just a litte bit leaked out. What should I do?

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an insight.

Chloramphenicol drops are only 5% in concentration. Even though he swallow this, nothing is going to happen unless he is allergic to it.
There was time when Chloramphenicol was the drug of choice in many of the diseases and was routine given in all cases of Enteric Fever or so.
So stop worrying, nothing adverse will happen.
The only care you have to take is to keep all the Medicines out of the reach of your son.

I hope this answer helps you calm down.

Patient: Thank you so much I stayed up pretty much most of the night watching him sleep to make sure he was OK. There was no reaction any at all to the drops. Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I will be sure to keep all medication out of his reach from now on.