Hi my child is 6 years old She was fine

Patient

Q: Hi my child is 6 years old. She was fine all day. At about 4:30am she had a fever out of nowhere. I gave her ibuprofen and juice. She cooled off and went to sleep. Now her forhead feels cool and clammy. Noone in the house is sick. She hasnt been outside. Earlier it was very hot and stuffy from the heat in my home. She is still sleeping now. Should i be worried about the cool and clammy/sweaty feeling she has on her forehead area?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thank you for writing to ATD.

Paracetamol/Acetaminophen is more preferred for fever than Ibuprofen. You should give your Daughter Acetaminophen.

The cold clammy sweat is the sweat that is produced once the fever breaks. Fever occurs when the thermostat of the body is set to a level above the body temperature. When the fever breaks, the thermostat is reset back to the normal level. Now, the body is still at a higher temperature. So, it begins to sweat to release the heat.

The sweat is thus released quickly and is cold because it cools the body.

This is most probably what you felt. If the fever doesn't go away, talk to a Doctor.

Hope this helps you. All the best.