Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi my period started a week late and heavy with

Hi my period started a week late and heavy with

Patient: Hi my period started a week late and heavy with bad cramps feeling like I have to throw up too with a little heartburn

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Little bit of irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes.Usually menstrual cycle with length of 21 days to 35 days should be considered as normal only.If you are having doubt regarding pregnancy, please go for urine pregnancy test once.If test gives negative result and bleeding continues, please consult your doctor and take tablets preferably antifibrinolytic drugs to stop the bleeding.If menstrual irregularity persists in future months, better to get evaluated to find out the possible cause of the problem.Clinical examination and investigations like ultrasound, gonadal hormonal profile, thyroid hormonal profile, complete blood picture etc can help in finding the possible cause of the problem and treatment can be taken accordingly.Take care