Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi there I am a 20 year old male with lower pain

Hi there I am a 20 year old male with lower pain

Patient: Hi there. I am a 20 year old male. 6’3″ tall and have been experiencing lower back pain around my tail bone on both sides as well with anal pressure that only comes after I have worked and am sitting down or laying down. I’m more concerned with the anal pressure because I have never experienced it before. I work in a kitchen as a sous chef and am on my feet all day. When I get home from work that’s when it starts and it usually lasts throughout the night and when I wake up in the morning it’s gone. I’m always standing for long periods on concrete and the counters at work are too short for me and I find myself hunching over a lot.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for posting your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.From your description, I fee l that you have 2 separate problems- lower back pain and 2) anal pressures.Both these problems need to be discussed separately.Regarding the lower back pain, as you are quite tall and you have to hunch quite a lot, you can suffer from lumbar spondylosis or nerve entrapment syndrome. Kindly visit an orthopedic surgeon and take his advice. you might be asked to get an x-ray lumbar spine or MRI spine to rule out lumbar spondylosis and nerve entrapment syndrome. Wearing a lumber brace, avoIding hunching, physiotherapy- doing muscle relaxing exercises and Neurobion injections will help in relieving this condition.In your case, the most probable cause of anal pressure can be haemorrhoids. You are tall and you are standing for prolonged intervals as you are a sous chef, so you have much more chances of developing haemorrhoids.Kindly visit a general surgeon and get yourself clinically evaluated by getting a p/r and proctoscopy done. You might be asked to get a colonoscopy done if the surgeon suspects proctalgia fugax or IBD.Hope this was helpful,Regards