Hi there I have been having severe lower back pain

Patient

Q: Hi there. I have been having severe lower back pain that shoots down my left hip into my leg and I end up with really bad weakness in my left leg causing me to have trouble walking. When I put too much weight on my left side, I almost collapse. I saw an orthopedic and had xrays and an MRI and all they said was I had two slightly bulging discs, but its not that bad and I shouldn't be in this much pain. The pain comes on every time I do house chores like vacuum or mop, or walk around in public for more than a half hour. These are typical things I should be able to do on a daily basis, but instead I end up with severe pain for 3 days or more. Also, I am 24 yet I feel like I'm 80. I'm not over weight, I'm 5'2" and 120lbs, female. What could be going on? I'm tired of doctors not taking me seriously.

Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
You seem to be suffering from Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc Compression.

I would advise you to get following:
1. X-ray Cervical spine
2. X-ray LS spine
3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D3 levels
4. ESR, CRP, Rheumatoid factor.

For symptomatic relief, I advise the following:
1. A combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocolchicoside.
2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.
4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.

If the compression is found you would be treated with a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin.
But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness, tingling on any side of the body then surgical intervention would be required.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.