Hi there, im currently 5 weeks pregnant and am on

Patient : Hi there, im currently 5 weeks pregnant and am on 100 mcg of levothyroxine. My drs surgery are being very unhelpful. I read that my thyroxin should be increased as soon as I know im pregnant however the dr has dismissed this as my levels were ok 3 months ago. I would like a second opinion and this does not seem right to me, they said I can have a blood test at my 8 week midwife appointment.
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion, The normal TSH level during pregnancy should be maintained betw een 3.2 -3.8 IU/dl. Usually the requirement increases in pregnancy but as you have already been on thyroxine since last 3 months there would not be a much change, however a blood thyroid profile would indeed be mandatory to decide revision of dosage. A wait for another 3 weeks would not cause any harm to the foetal development as you are already on 100mcg thyroxine daily. So don't get stressed, just get the blood test and if required, the dosage should be changed accordingly. I hope i have answered your query in detail, Wishing you good health, Regards

Patient: Ok thank you very much, I have miscarried a few times in the past, unsure of the reason for this so that makes me anxious. Do you know how often the midwife or dr should be checking my levels for any change.
Doctor: The levels should be checked 3 monthly ideally and the change of dosage should be undertaken after the confirmation of foetal heart beat at 8 weeks scan.
Patient: Do the nhs do this scan or would I have to go private
Doctor: It is known as Dating scan and is a part of protocol to establish foetal viability by visualising the heart beat.