Hi there, my 3 and half month old daughter I

Patient

Q: Hi there, my 3 and half month old daughter I think has conjunctivitis but I'm not 100% sure. She has a liquid like discharge coming from her eyes. She has been rubbing her eyes and squints when a light is on and she's laying on her back. Should I take her to the doctor or just down to the chemist?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

Pinkeye, or conjunctivitis, is a very common and treatable inflammation of the conjunctiva – a transparent membrane that lines the inside of the eyelids and the whites of the eyes. Blood vessels become more visible when they're inflamed, giving the eye the characteristic pinkness or redness of the condition. Inflammation can be caused by an infection, an allergen, or some other irritant. Bacterial and viral pinkeye infections are very contagious.

If the white of one or both of your baby's eyes and the lower rim of either of his eyelids are red, chances are he has pinkeye. As your baby's system tries to fight the infection, her eyes may tear or become goopy or crusty. The typical squinting of eyes in light indicate photophobia and is one of the signs as well. Though it is difficult to make a correct diagnosis in infants as they may cry more often due to irritability and photophobia, it is always best to get her evaluated by the specialist for an opinion.

Please take her to the paediatrician as the symptoms are more in favour of a conjunctivitis and chemist really can't help you much in this regard. The infant may be placed on antibiotic eye drops depending on the type of infection whether viral or bacterial and often cool eye compresses which can be soothing for your child. Remove the crusting gently and wipe the discharge with a soft cotton and always wash your hands before and after treating your baby's eyes. Kindly schedule a visit.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you child a speedy recovery,