Hi there! My friend is in Cancun right now and he got bit by an insect

Q: Hi there! My friend is in Cancun right now and he got bit by an insect today. His testicles swelled up and turned black in colour. One hospital first thought it was gangria fournier, but he went to a different hospital and they put him on antibiotics. Currently he is still swollen (he says to the size of grapefruit and they're red)... What could this reaction be? He's unsure of what kind of insect bit him. He's a bit freaked out because there was no real definite answer as to what was wrong with him and how long it'll take for him to get better. Please help!!!

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

The testicular swelling could be a result of the insect bite, and it is painful because of the associated inflammation.
They have already started antibiotics and the swelling will gradually subside over the next few days. He can also take an analgesic like Chymotrypsin which helps in reducing the acute inflammation, and hence help in faster recovery.

Hope this was helpful,