Hi there, On May 6, 2015, I had my copper IUD

Q: Hi there,

On May 6, 2015, I had my copper IUD removed. I had it since September 2009. I had a D&C at 12 weeks at which point my first copper IUD was inserted. The IUD ended up migrating such that the bottom aspect was roughly 0.5cm outside my cervix. This was removed and in a few weeks, a new copper IUD was inserted. This IUD I had no pressing issues with other than between-period release of what appeared to be "mucosa lining" shedding, which began more regularly after 2.5 years of having it (I do not know what else to call the substance--mucosa lining--or what it is for that matter). During this time, my vaginal secretions would be a rust color and through my dissection (putting the secretion in water, allowing the sheddings to float free of the secretion), the "mucosa lining" was evident. The sheddings would range in size, some as long as 3 cm. They were a rust color and reminded me of seaweed that is translucent. I am wondering if this is a normal finding with the copper IUD? Uterine tissue shedding?

I had the IUD removed this past Wed and its removal was surprisingly painful. I am wondering if it got embedded into the uterine wall, causing abrasions on its pull out of my uterus. I had another copper IUD inserted at this time. Since (for roughly 48 hours) then, I have been having light bleeding with no pain or odor. I do not have any STIs.

More questions: is it safe to have another IUD in my uterus when my uterine wall is potentially abraded? Will the damaged epithelium (if this is the case) grow over parts of my new IUD in time? Should I have the IUD removed and allow my uterus to heal and have another one inserted later? Or is this bleeding a normal aspect of IUD insertion?

Additionally, while on the topic of gynecology, my uterus length was measured at 5 cm (7.5cm being an average length?). The GP noted that this is rather short compared to the average, and that it would be more likely that me, being over six feet tall, may have a longer uterus. I am wondering if I have a mass in the fundal area (mainly because I have become a bit of a worry wart having just completed my BSN). I am wondering if an examination into the nature of the inside of my uterus can be done in a clinic, or if I should perhaps visit a gynecologist and/or medical imaging?

Thank you sooo much for reading!

Symptoms:  IUD removal pain and new IUD insertion now light bleeding