Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hi this never happens to me because I never drink

Hi this never happens to me because I never drink

Patient: Hi this never happens to me because I never drink but I had two shots And two hours later accidentally breast fed my 14lbs 3 month old. Will she be ok, what should I do?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to askthedoctor.com for an opinion.The same amount of alcohol that makes it into your bloodstream makes it into your breast milk. Your baby is tiny and has an immature liver. That means she can’t process the alcohol as well as you can. Infants younger than 3 months process alcohol at about half the rate of adults. Studies show that alcohol can affect babies’ eating and sleeping. And while breastfed babies may become drowsy and fall asleep more quickly after their mother drinks alcohol, they also sleep for a shorter amount of time.The same amount of alcohol that makes it into your bloodstream makes it into your breast milk.your baby is tiny and has an immature liver. That means she can’t process the alcohol as well as you can. Infants younger than 3 months process alcohol at about half the rate of adults.Studies show that alcohol can affect babies’ eating and sleeping. And while breastfed babies may become drowsy and fall asleep more quickly after their mother drinks alcohol, they also sleep for a shorter amount of time.Wait at least two hours after you finish a drink before nursing your baby to give your body a chance to clear the alcohol.Your blood alcohol level (and the level of alcohol in your milk) is generally highest 30 to 90 minutes after you have a drink, although that time – and the length of time it takes the alcohol to leave your body – varies from person to person.As in your case you have fed your child after two hours , the baby may experience some sleepiness and decreased feeding for next 1-2 feeds , but shall not harm the baby as you are not a habitual drinker and hence shall be metabolized naturally by the baby’s liver slowly. It is suggested that before the next breastfeed, an hour prior, please take two glasses of water so that alcohol in your body can metabolize faster and the next feed can be free from any trace of alcohol.So at present, you don’t need to worry much just delay your next feed by 2 hours and watch for excessive sleepiness of the baby. If the baby sleeps and takes lesser feed in next 2 sessions then you may visit your pediatric specialist for a review and examination.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards