Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches does the leg have to be lowered flat.

Patient

Q: Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches does the leg have to be lowered flat (as close to the floor as possible) in order to burn calories or can the leg be lowered slightly raised from the floor (not as flat to the floor as possible). In other words is it the movement (contraction) of the legs in general that determines the calories burnt and not the leg being lowered as flat to the floor as it can be, and does the leg being lowered & raised from the floor from the lowest level (i.e as flat to the floor as it can be) determine the calories burnt or does this not really affect the number of calories burnt. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

The lower the leg, more is the contraction on the abdominal muscles, and it should be flat over the floor. It definitely helps in burning more calories, but, once again, exact number can't be mentioned, as no such studies are available to prove this point.

Feel free to discuss further.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. Can the leg be lowered to a high height above floor level (i.e not flat to the floor/ flat to the floor as possible) and still burn the same amount of calories as it does when the leg is lowered as flat to the floor as it can be. In other words, is there a significant increased number of calories burnt when the leg is lowered as close/flat to the floor as possible compared to when the leg is lowered high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be), or are the number of calories burnt roughly the same when the leg is lowered as close/flat to the floor as possible compared to when the leg is lowered high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be). Are there a significant greater number of calories burnt when the leg is lowered flat/ as close to the floor as it can be i.e 0.5 - 1 calorie more for each crunch when compared to lowering the leg to a higher height above floor level, or are the calories burnt roughly the same/ negligible in difference of the number of calories burnt when lowering the leg as flat/ as close to the floor as it can be and when lowering the leg high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: As I said in my previous post, no one can predict the exact number of calories burnt if the feet is higher up or etc because such literature is not available..

Since being as flat as possible, keeps the muscles more taut, it should burn more calories from a theoretical point of view.. You will also feel the tension while doing it yourself.
Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. Im writing up a heath & fitness report/ assessment concerning how many calories are burnt when performing the exercise bicycle crunches. I really need an accurate and detailed answer as to whether significantly more calories are burnt when the leg is lowered as close/flat to the floor as possible compared to when the leg is lowered high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be) when performing the exercise bicycle crunches, or are the number of calories burnt roughly the same/ negligible (not much different & significant) when the leg is lowered as close/flat to the floor as possible compared to when the leg is lowered high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be), i.e is there only a 0.5 - 1 calorie difference increase in calories burnt if there is an increase in number of calories burnt when the leg is lowered as close/flat to the floor as possible compared to when the leg is lowered high above floor level (not flat/ as close to the floor as it can be). Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Sorry, exact statistics about this is not available, and all are based on assumptions.