Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches when the l

Patient

Q: Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches when the legs are kept in a bent/ slacker position are 1-2 calories still burnt and if the leg is kept in a straight form are 1-2 more calories burnt than when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form whilst performing the exercise. In other words are 1- 2 calories burnt when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form whilst performing the bicycle crunches and are 2-3 calories burnt when the leg is kept in a straight form whilst performing the bicycle crunches. Also, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches can the leg still be lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level compared to when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible) and still burn a lot of calories. Are the calories burnt roughly the same/ not much difference in both cases, or are 1-2 calories still burnt if the leg is lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level and are 1-2 more calories burnt when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible). In other words are 1- 2 calories burnt when the leg is lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level whilst performing the bicycle crunches and are 2-3 calories burnt when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible) whilst performing the bicycle crunches. I'm writing a health & fitness report concerning how many calories are burnt when lowering & raising the leg from different heights/ floor level when performing the exercise bicycle crunches and how many calories are burnt whilst keeping the leg in a straight/ bent (slacker) form when performing the exercise bicycle crunches. I need an accurate & detailed number/ amount of the calories burnt in both methods for both when the leg is raised & lowered from different heights/ floor level whilst performing the exercise bicycle crunches. Thankyou for your help and kind regards, Kelly.

Doctor

A:   Hello
Thanks for posting your query at ATD.
Calculation of energy expenditure during any activity is a rough estimate and calculated for longer time periods. There are numerous variables such as local temperature, metabolic rate, activity level of muscles, time duration of exercise, body weight etc. they will affect calorie expenditure. Such calculations are not done for single bicycle crunch performed and even when such exercises are performed for given time the energy burnt is a rough estimate.
When bicycle crunches are done with left elbow touching the left knee. The right leg should be strsight at an angle of 45 degrees to the ground. There should be no bent at the knee and the leg should neither go too high nor to close to the ground. The use of doing such exercises is to burn the abdominal fat, so rather than 1-2 calories or speed one has to focus on maintaining position of lower limbs to ensure maintained tone /form of abdominal muscles. With leg raised and then lowered the abdominal muscle tone varies in its different parts and thus making the exercise less effective.
Sorry to say but with no randomised trials on different positions of leg during bicycle crunches even an average estimate of calorie burned out during such exercises cannot be commented upon.
I hope your query is answered.
Feel free to discuss in case of doubt.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for reply and help. So, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches does the height of the leg when it is raised and lowered from the floor (eg when the leg is lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level and when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible) affect/ determine the amount of calories burnt, or are the amount of calories burnt roughly the same/ or is there only a small (negligible) difference i.e 0.5-1 calorie difference for each bicycle crunch performed. I'm writing a health & fitness report concerning the amount of calories burnt for variation of form etc when performing the exercise bicycle crunches, and i need an accurate/ detailed number of the amount or difference (if there is any difference) of calories burnt in both methods/ variation of form whilst performing the bicycle crunches. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Hello
I understand your concern regarding the amount of calories spent but as I already stated it is not possible to answer the amount of calories spent but with leg at 45degree and maintaining it at that level consumes more energy as the muscle remain in continued state of action with lowering leg to the ground or taking it to higher level there is brief amount of relaxation and makes the exercise a bit easier. Regarding the amount of energy consumed, I guess you have to ask to authority to ammend some changes because rather than quoting false value one has to see the use and proper execution of the exercise.
My best wishes and good luck with your article.
Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help, thanks and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Thankyou for your positive satisfactory feedback. It was my pleasure answering your query. For any further information or assistance follow me at ATD.