Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches will keepi

Patient

Q: Hi, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches will keeping the legs straight whilst performing the exercise burn a significantly greater number of calories compared to when keeping the leg at a very or slightly bent/ slacker form or is the difference in the the number of calories burnt only 0.5 - 1 calorie more per rep. In other words, is the number of calories burnt roughly the same/ negligible in number & difference when keeping the legs in a straight form whilst performing the exercise and when keeping the leg bent/ slacker whilst performing the exercise. I'm writing a health & fitness report on how many calories are burnt when performing the exercise bicycle crunches and i need an accurate & detailed number of how many calories are burnt when performing the exercise when the legs are kept straight or bent/ slacker. Does the straightness/ slackness of the leg during the exercise not really affect the number of calories burnt in number (is there only a slight difference e.g. 0.5 - 1 calories more if there is any difference) or are the number of calories burnt in both methods roughly the same. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
You burn more calories while the leg is straight and is raised upwards keeping it as straight as possible.

You will burn 1-2 calories per 10 counts. Approximation of values is difficult because no such literature is available.

Please feel free to discuss further.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. When performing the exercise bicycle crunches does keeping the leg at a very or slightly bent/ slacker form while performing the exercise still burn roughly the same amount of calories compared to when keeping the legs in a straight form performing the exercise. In other words is there a difference in the number of calories burnt both when keeping the leg at a very or slightly bent/ slacker form and also when keeping the legs in a straight form (i.e are only 0.5 or 1-2 more calories burnt when keeping the legs straight whilst performing the exercise compared to when keeping the leg at a very or slightly bent/ slacker form whilst performing the exercise for every 10 crunches). I'm writing a health & fitness report about the number of calories burnt with relation to the form the legs are kept when performing bicycle crunches, and i really need an accurate & detailed number of the difference in the number of calories burnt (if there is any any difference) during both forms/ methods of the exercise. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Per 10 crunches you will be burning roughly 2-3 calories more provided your legs are straight and you raise it up directly parallel to the ground.
Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. So, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches are roughly 1- 2 calories burnt per 10 crunches and are roughly 2-3 calories burnt per 10 crunches when the leg is kept in a straight form rather than when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form. In other words does the form/ position of the leg being straight or bent really affect the number and difference of calories burnt whilst performing the exercise, or id the calorie difference in both methods not significant (i.e if there is a difference in number does keeping the leg in a straight form only burn 0.5 -1 calories more compared to when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form). I really need an accurate & detailed number/ amount of calories more that are burnt per bicycle crunch when the leg is kept in a straight form compared to when it is kept in a bent/ slacker form. Also, does the form of the leg (i.e. the leg being kept in a straight or a bent form) not really affect the difference in the number of calories burnt and is the contraction/ movement of the legs in general that affects & determines the number/ amount of calories burnt while performing the exercise. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: The form does affect. I said as straight the leg, the more the calories burnt.
And yes it is roughly 2-3 calories more per 10 crunches.
Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. So, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches when keeping the leg in a bent/ slacker form are 1-2 calories burnt per 10 bicycle crunches and are 2-3 calories burnt when keeping the leg in a straight form. In other words is 1-2 calories more burnt when keeping the leg in a straight form whilst performing the bicycle crunches compared to when keeping the leg in a bent/ slacker form whilst performing the bicycle crunches. Are a lot of calories still burnt even when the leg is kept in a very bent/ slacker form when performing the bicycle crunches (e.g. are 1-2 calories burnt per 10 bicycle crunches). Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Yes, 1-2 calories are burnt when keeping the leg in a straight form per 10 crunches.
Even when the legs are burnt a lot of calories are burnt, yes.
Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. So, even when performing the exercise bicycle crunches when the legs are kept in a bent/ slacker position are 1-2 calories still burnt and if the leg is kept in a straight form are 1-2 more calories burnt than when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form whilst performing the exercise. In other words are 1- 2 calories burnt when the leg is kept in a bent/ slacker form whilst performing the bicycle crunches and are 2-3 calories burnt when the leg is kept in a straight form whilst performing the bicycle crunches. Also, when performing the exercise bicycle crunches can the leg still be lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level compared to when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible) and still burn a lot of calories. Are the calories burnt roughly the same/ not much difference in both cases, or are 1-2 calories still burnt if the leg is lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level and are 1-2 more calories burnt when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible). In other words are 1- 2 calories burnt when the leg is lowered & raised to a very high height above floor level whilst performing the bicycle crunches and are 2-3 calories burnt when the leg is lowered to & raised from floor level (as close to the floor as possible) whilst performing the bicycle crunches. I'm writing a health & fitness report concerning how many calories are burnt when lowering & raising the leg from different heights/ floor level when performing the exercise bicycle crunches and how many calories are burnt whilst keeping the leg in a straight/ bent (slacker) form when performing the exercise bicycle crunches. I need an accurate & detailed number/ amount of the calories burnt in both methods for both when the leg is raised & lowered from different heights/ floor level whilst performing the exercise bicycle crunches. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.
Doctor: Hello,
You have already utlised maximum follow ups for this query.
Please initiate a new query, if you want to consult the same doctor further.