High ankle pain

Patient

Q: Greetings,
I injured my ankle playing ice hockey 3 weeks ago. i couldn't walk without excruciating pain the next two days. So i called off work and rested and iced it. The third day i could walk fine with very minor pain. A week later i was to the point where i was easily able to go upstairs, run, and ride a bike without pain. But when i tried to play hockey the pain was terrible.

(My pain is located in the outside upper ankle)

My question is what can i do to help the healing(its been almost 4 weeks)? would it be best to rest the ankle or work it out doing stretches? It is so frustrating to be able to do everything normal except play hockey. (i am a goalie and the pain is only when i go up and down from my knees)

ps. i have not been to the doctor

Doctor