Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High Blood Pressure and male enhancement pills

High Blood Pressure and male enhancement pills

Patient: Is it safe for a man with high blood pressure to take male enhancement pills to help him get an erection since these pills increase blood flow? The one I’m referring to in particular is Extenze.

Doctor: ExtenZE is a herbal nutritional supplement and as such I cannot comment on the effects and uses of the same. However lit erature suggests that it contains yohimbine which is a substance that leads to the side effects of this supplement namely high blood pressure , sweating , increased heart rate and body temperature. Thus this supplement would be infact contraindicated in/ not advised in a patient with high blood pressure.There are other methods of treating erectile dysfunction which include Phosphodiesterase 3 inhibitor group of drugs like Viagara which can be taken in patients having high blood pressure. Moreover many a times other conditions like diabetes, spinal cord injuries etc can lead to erectile dysfunction and you should contact you physician for the exact cause and the other possible methods of treatment.