High Blood pressure and Migraine

Q: I woke up with a migraine and checked my blood pressure. It was 173 over 118 with a pulse of 66.It went down over a 6 hour period. I am a 42 year old male and never had a blood pressure problem. I have done nothing different and done no drugs or alcohol. What might cause this and should I be worried.

A:   It seems that you may have had a acute episode of high blood pressure. Moreover since you were having a migraine and were in pain the increased bp could also have been due to that. I advice you to take your BP over the next few days like for example every morning and monitor the same. If you BP is consistently high you need to see a physician to rule out other causes of high blood pressure or it may just be essential hypertension for which you will need medication and lifestyle modifications. All the best.