High blood pressure during third trimester

Patient

Q: I am 34 weeks and recently went to the doctor because I was having swelling in my hands and face. The doctor said my urine did not have high protien counts but my blood pressure was 140 over 78 and it is usually in the 110s. She also said I gained 5 lbs since my last appt which was 5 days prior. She told me not to worry about it but I am wondering if I should get a second opinion? My sister had preclampsia with her last child and I want to make sure I am doing everything I should to have a healthy baby and labor.

Doctor

A:   If your blood pressure remains consistently high (above 140/90 mmhg) along with proteins in urine, you may be asked to stay at the hospital for observation and, further management would depend on various factors such as, how far along you are with your pregnancy, how well your baby is doing and how bad your symptoms are, to be able to carry forward with the pregnancy. So in my opinion, you need not worry at this time if the increase in blood pressure was a temporary reaction, unless it stays up for long and also new symptoms like headache, any changes in your vision and/or urine output, stomach pain or seizures start to develop.

If your blood pressure remains consistently high (above 140/90 mmhg) along with proteins in urine, you may be asked to stay at the hospital for observation and, further management would depend on various factors such as, how far along you are with your pregnancy, how well your baby is doing and how bad your symptoms are, to be able to carry forward with the pregnancy. So in my opinion, you need not worry at this time if the increase in blood pressure was a temporary reaction, unless it stays up for long and also new symptoms like headache, any changes in your vision and/or urine output, stomach pain or seizures start to develop.