High blood pressure in young adults

Patient

Q: I'm 24 years old male, I'm 5'8 and I weight 162 pounds and I have high blood pressure and I been taking pills since 2 years ago.. I'm too young to be taking pills, I know about the problems that could happen if I do not take the pills, but I know also the side effects of this pills and I would like to find another way to get blood pressure under control without the pill. I had lower the sodium in my diet to the point that I do not used at all to cook my food, I try to avoid fast foods and lately I been exercising, but all of this, it just not enough.. what can I do to overcome this problem?... I'm sorry if I have misspelled any word, English is my second language... You know, I'm a Criminal Justice student I'm graduating next year and all wanted to do is become a Police Officer, thats been my dream since I wass little boy, a dream that I been pursuing since I started college and a dream that will not happen. "I wass close to make happen" what can I do?

Doctor

A:   I commend you for maintaining a low salt, low fat diet coupled with regular exercise as a means to control your blood pressure. Not many patients have that kind of discipline and you are definitely on the right track. Keep on doing this for 1-3 more months and have your blood pressure checked again by your doctor. If your BP is maintained or controlled, try talking to your doctor if it is possible to lower the dose of your BP meds. Stopping BP meds right away is also not good because rebound hypertension can also occur, which may have serious consequences. I think your doctor will agree with this too. Maintaining the lowered dose for a few months and continuing the healthy diet and lifestyle should keep your BP in the normal range; by then you can request your doctor to stop the BP meds. Do not lower or stop your BP meds without your doctor’s approval. If you can maintain this healthy diet and lifestyle for your lifetime then that is the best thing for you; it will have countless benefits on your mind and body. You will have to commit to this healthy diet and lifestyle so you will not need meds to lower your BP. I hope I have appeased your concerns and take care always.