High blood pressure is a risk factor for stroke

Patient

Q: I experience numbness on my left side. My left hand felt like it was asleep. Slight headache. Blood pressure 184 over 90. Still do not feel good. do you have any advise

Doctor

A:   I advise that you attend the Emergency Department urgently. The symptoms you describe including the left-sided numbness, headache and feeling of pins and needles may be suggestive of a stroke or mini-stroke. Stroke can be caused by an acute blockage or partial blockage of an artery supplying the brain, or a bleeding vessel in the brain. High blood pressure is one of the risk factors for development of a stroke, in addition to smoking, high blood cholesterol, diabetes and a family history. Please seek medical help urgently for further investigation and management.