High blood sugar cause lucunar stroke?

Q: My mother is 68 years old, 5'3" weighs about 180lbs, has type 2 diabetis, she takes 2 "sugar pills" each day to control her blood sugar, she has done this for 2-3 years. last week she was abnormally sick, so my dad called the paramedics, they arrrived found her blood sugar was 540. they took her to the ER, she arrived 12:30 p.m., her inital diagnosis was "fatigue", she was barely conscience, they gave her an IV to see if the fluid would lover her blood sugar. it lowered it to 480. about 5:30 p.m. they gave her 15 units of insulin and gave her dinner.
then admitted her to the hospital. later that evening she suffered a lucunar stroke. my question is, why did the ER Dr wait so long to give her insulin, isn't long term high blood sugar damaging? her blood sugar was over 500 for a very long time, at a miniumum 6-7 hours, more likely 10-20 hours. can the high bllod sugar cause the stroke?