High Blood Sugar with Diabetes and Kidney Stones

Patient

Q: I have had diabetes type 2 for 15 years and also have kidney stones and diverticulosis. I have done three 24 hr urinalysis test with all three showing high calcium and uric acid levels. I started taking water pills but this affected by A1C from 7.3 to 8 in just two months. I am having trouble controlling my blood sugar levels lately, they have been all over the place. I never had sugar levels in the 300 range, but now wake up in the morning with sugars between 250 and 300. Normally during the day the ranges used to be no more than 150 even after meals, but now they are in the high 180 to 225 levels. I'm taking 2500 of Metformin per day and 10-20 Glypizide. I am eating a high fiber diet and limit my intake of non whole wheat products. But even if I eat a small item with sugar or a half a cup of white rice my blood sugar shoots up to over 200. Any suggestions on how to handle my high sugar levels?

Doctor

A:   Sometimes it gets very difficult in controlling the sugar levels in Diabetes. You have mentioned that you have been taking diuretics, metformin and glypizide and thay have still not reduced your sugar levels. It may be that in your case these drugs are not as effective as they used to be or there may be an underlying stress (like an infection) that may be causing your sugar levels to be high.
You may need to see your family physician to determine an underlying stress factor and maybe even put you on insulin if the sugar levels are not controlled.