Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High Bp =230, AGE : 16 Yrs

High Bp =230, AGE : 16 Yrs

Patient: HiMy brother’s age: 16 YrsFrom last 1 day he is having High BP : 230Sever Headache,Neckpains..Just now admitted in ICU.Please tell me is it controllable in how many days and curable

Symptoms: Sever Headache, Neck pains.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you. His BP readings are very high, he definitely required admission a nd control of Blood Pressure as this is Malignant Hypertension and Hypertensive Crisis.He is young, so he requires evaluation of the causes of secondary hypertension. He needs to be evaluated for renal artery stenosis, chronic kidney disease, pheochromocytoma, conn’s syndrome and all other causes of secondary hypertension.Once the cause is found, he will be treated accordingly. BP control would be required. Now, as far as ICU care is concerned, they will be able to get the BP to normal with 12-24 hours and then they will do workup for the cause of Malignant Hypertension. Further decision to stay in hospital would depend on the reports. Once he is discharged, he would be required to take antihypertensive medicines on a regular basis.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy