Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High cholesterol – eggs versus egg beaters

High cholesterol – eggs versus egg beaters

Patient: My cholesterol just shot up in the last two years from trying to eat healthy (2 eggs and fruit) for breakfast almost everyday (it just read 268 with HDL reading of 77) after reading 222 last year. Can changing from real eggs to egg beaters help lower my cholesterol or am I destined to go the medication route?Thanks in advance!

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Eggs or egg substitute alone will not have an effect in lowering your cholesterol. When try ing to naturally lower your cholesterol, you need to consider a holistic lifestyle change. This means exercising regularly as well as following a diet that this low in saturated fat, refined sugars, and processed foods. Incorporating increased amounts of dietary fiber and vegetables as well have also been shown to lower cholesterol. A total cholesterol below 200 is a desirable range that is associated with decreased risk of cardiovascular complications. Your HDL levels are at an excellent level. HDL below 40 is associated with increased risk for cardiovascular disease.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com