Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High fever and cough in a child

High fever and cough in a child

Patient: My 11 year old daughter spent 2 days at her grandparents house. They have cats and she does have allergies. She came home complaining of a sore throat and tightness in her chest and coughing. She has a fever of 103.5. How long can she run this high of a temp?

Doctor: There is no specific time that can be told for running a temperature. It depends on the infection and the severity of th e infection, I would advice you to treat the fever with advil or tylenol and keep a watch on the same. Give her saline gargles for her sore throat and cough. Also in case the symptoms get worse or persists please contact a physician in person. All the best.