High Fever – persistent

Patient: My son was diagnosed with influenza this morning and given Tamiflu. I have already given him two doses of Tamiflu 3ml each time. He is 3 years old. He is still having high fever of 39.6C . This is after giving him Panadol. Should I panic and take him to the hospital?

Symptoms: High fever, runny nose, cough

Doctor: Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.High fever in a child should not be taken lightly as it may cause febrile se izures which could cause damage to the child’s brain. Paracetamol may take half an hour to start working. You could start the cold compress to bring the temperature of your child down. In case the temperature does not reduce I recommend a visit to your pediatrician. There could be a possibility of a secondary bacterial infection and your child may require antibiotics. The main aim is to keep the temperature down and not letting it increase.Hope this information was useful.