Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High fibre diet to improve constipation

High fibre diet to improve constipation

Patient: I want to take fiber food for Healthy and free motion purpose. Which material is fiber and where it available in vegetables or seeds.

Doctor: There are several lifestyle modifications that can improve constipation and soften bowel motions. These include: increas ed exercise, including walking; increased fluid intake in the form of water; and increased fibre in the diet and fibre supplementation. Sources of dietary fibre include fruits and dried fruits especially prunes, root vegetables, especially in the skin, and legumes, cereals high in fibre, wheat and corn bran, oats, nuts and seeds and whole grain bread. Soluble fibre supplements and prebiotics are available in most pharmacies, which may improve symptoms in addition to diet. I would advise trial of lifestyle modification initially and a visit to your family doctor for a clinical examination. He may prescribe stool softener or osmotic laxative if other measures have failed to work.