Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High Level of Parathyroid Hormone and Calcium, What Does This Mean?

High Level of Parathyroid Hormone and Calcium, What Does This Mean?

Patient: I have just been told that I have a high reading for parathyroid And a high reading for calcium. What does this mean?

Doctor: Parathyroid hormone is hormone released by your parathyroid glands that regulates the balance of Calcium and Phosphorus in the body. When the calcium in the blood falls below a certain level, the parathyroid glands release the parathyroid hormones into the bloodstream which in turn causes the kidneys and the intestines to preserve calcium, increasing the levels of calcium in the body. Problem with the parathyroid gland may result in the over secretion of the hormone causing excess of calcium in the blood. This condition is known as Hyperparathyroidism. Your doctor may recommend treatment according to the cause, the level of calcium and whether your kidneys are functioning properly or not. I hope this helps, take care.