Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High platelets. synthoid and ivf

High platelets. synthoid and ivf

Patient: My wife and i are trying to get pregnant she is 41 and has high platelets. the infertility specialist says high platlets arent a concern. she does not have hypothyroid disorder and they put her on synthroid. the official site for synthroid says specifically not to use for infertility. she also has an anxiety disorder. this all scares me because the thyroid meds can cause anxiety and abnormal heartbeat. im starting to feel like this is all a bad idea. i want my wife more than a baby. her platelet problem is still undiagnosed and i feel like we could be making a costly and health theatening decision. what canyou tell me

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Thromocytosis is increased platelet count.This can occur d ue to many causes like infections, iron deficiency anemia, hemolytic anemia, connective tissue disorders etc.Better to repeat the platelet count after one to two weeks to confirm thrombocytosis.If it persists better to get evaluated once.Thyroid hormones are usually recommended if thyroid abnormality exists.So, you discuss these things with your doctor and proceed accordingly.Take care.