High Potassium levels in blood

Patient

Q: I have high potasium in my last blood tests should i be concerneed

Doctor

A:   It will depend on how high the potassium level is. High dietary intake of potassium is a common cause. Slight elevations (>5.0meq/L) can be ignored and repeat blood tests may be done as necessary. If the elevation reaches 6.0 - 6.5meq/L, that is when treatment and further investigations are needed. You have not mentioned the exact value of the elevated potassium level but if it really bothers you, you may request your doctor to repeat the blood test. I hope this helps.