High pottasium level in blood: Causes and treatment

Q: Cause and treatment for high pottasium in blood

A:   Hyperkalemia ie high pottasium levels in the blood more than 5.o mEq/l is caused due to various factors . Some of them are
1) Factitious hyperkalemia : due to sample hemolysis and breakdown of the cells.
2)increased intake of potassium through diet , tabs, or iv fluids
3) Increased cellular release of K : like in insulin deficiency, tumor lysis, drugs like beta blockers etc
4) Decreased excretion: Renal failure, etc
The treatment depends on the symptoms and K levels. Acute treatment is needed if ecg changes are present along with symptoms. The mainstay of treatment is to stop k intake, increase the loss of k through the urine and protect the heart. The medications used for the same are calcium gluconate, regular insulin and bicarbonate and also beta agonist like ventolin and diurectics like furosemide.

Guest: is a potassium level of 4.5 dangerous?