Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High random blood sugar level

High random blood sugar level

Patient: My friend pricked my finger to test my blood sugar and it was 299..what does that mean? she said the number was way too high

Doctor: This blood sugar reading is high, and could potentially point to a diagnosis of impaired glucose tolerance or Diabetes M ellitus. The diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is easily established when a patient presents with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision) and has a random blood glucose value of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher, and confirmed on another occasion. Other diagnostic criteria include: Fasting plasma glucose values ?126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L), two-hour post oral glucose challenge values of ?200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), and A1C values ?6.5 percent. An abnormal result should always be confirmed by repeat measurement with the same test. I advise attending your family doctor for a fasting plasma glucose test, or oral glucose tolerance test, to reach a diagnosis in your case.