High SGPT and Gamma GT levels

Patient

Q: Dear doctor, I took the liver function test two weeks ago. My SGPT and Gamma GT levels were 63 and 102 respectively. Additionally, my ultra-sound showed no structural damage to the liver. I do not drink and I had a lower back injury 3 years ago. I've read somewhere that muscle injury can lead to a elevated SGPT level. Should I take additional tests? Please advise.

Doctor

A:   Increasing in the level of Liver enzymes could be related to structural or functional defect in Liver. SGPT and GGT are indicators of liver cells damage. These tests are sensitive, but they are not specific. There are other tests that should be done in your case.  The possible diagnoses are: Viral infection, Medications, Immune mediated or toxins. Hopefully, your Ultra- sound is normal that is a good point.
I would like you to visit your family physician and ask her/ him to do more test for you after a careful physical examination. For instance: SGOP, ALP, Pt, Ptt, Albumin and Bilirubin. After reviewing the results of your tests it would be easier to comment on relation between your back trauma and liver enzyme tests.
I hope you find this information helpful.