Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High Tibial Osteotomy one year ago

High Tibial Osteotomy one year ago

Patient: HI, I did High Tibial Osteotomy before one year and 90% of the pain was gone but why my knees is still in bad shape.

Doctor: The high tibial osteotomy has a rehabilitation protocol that must be followed to guarantee the success of the operation.   The first 4 weeks you progress from non weight bearing using crutches to full weight bearing with crutches and wearing a brace locked in extension. Use of the CPM as tolerated from 0 to 90 degrees of flexion out of the brace.. Ankle pumps and calf/hamstring stretches. From 4 to 6 weeks, begin to normalize gait pattern without crutches, the brace will be unlocked for ambulation and removed for sleeping, discontinue CPM, initiate stationary bike exercises and with low resistance. From week 6 to 3 months: normalized gait, no more brace, mini-squats, leg press, balance activities and increase resistance on the bike. And finally from 3 months to 9 months: full weight bearing with normal gait, full range of motion, you can begin treadmill, swimming, walking and other sport-specific activities. As you see possibly what you need now is a physical therapy program aimed to condition and strenghten your leg muscles.