Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > High Triglyceride Level

High Triglyceride Level

Patient: I am a 22 year old female and I just had my blood tested and I have normal total cholesterol (170), normal HDL (53), normal LDL (53), normal glucose (100). My triglyceride level is very high at 319. I have not had many carbs or alcohol in the past few days. Why could this be and should I be concerned?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Even though your HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol) are within normal limits, your triglyceride levels are still high. High triglyceride levels above 150mg/dl are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease. This increase in your tryglyceride levesl could be due to not fasting for at least 12 hours prior to your blood test, poor diet, increased body weight , or hormonal changes which can be caused by birth control medication. We strongly recommend that you follow up with your physician regarding your results to determine if you need to modify your diet and exercise routine in order to effectively treat your elevated triglycerides. If this does not help, you may need to be placed on a course of triglyceride lowering medication to adequately treat this.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your health question.