High water consumption secondary to high insensible losses

Q: Hello,I am always thirsty no matter how much I drink. I drink about 300 ounces of water a day and I am still constantly wanting more. I got a blood sugar level monitor, but it is only between 80-104 in the morning before eating and only 112 after meals. I am very thin, only 130 pounds at 5 foot 8 and until recently, always ran 60-80 miles per week, but I hurt my hamstring and have been taking off for a month. I do not have insurance, so I cannot afford to get a whole bunch of tests. Can you recommend anything?

A:   If you normally run 60 – 80 miles per week, this averages approx 10 miles per day, which indicates an extremely high level of daily exercise. You may be excessively thirsty because of your high level of insensible losses while running (water lost in sweat and exhalation through the lungs). Your blood sugar readings are normal before and after meals, therefore there is no indication you may have diabetes mellitus. I would advise reducing your exercise levels temporarily and observation of the effect of this on your daily consumption of water and symptoms of thirst. If your symptoms do improve with this temporary adjustment, further investigation is required with your family doctor.