Him for about 6 years now I've had on and

Patient

Q: Him for about 6 years now I've had on and off problems with urinating. It would feel like I really have to urinate, but when I go only a little comes out. When I try to get more out it really hurts. I only get this every few months or so. But ever since last August, after I urinate, I have discomfort in my penis all the time. I've been too afraid to see my GP because I'm afraid I'll have to get surgery which is one of my biggest fears. How can I get past this fear and finally pluck up the courage to see my GP and move on with my life? Thanks in advance.

Symptoms:  Discomfort in penis. Feeling of not fully emptying bladder.
Doctor