Hip/Side Pain after short runs

Q: I have enduring high hip/side pain on my left side for days after even short runs of 3 miles or less. I have been running these distances several times a week for a couple of years and this pain has only arisen in the last month or so. What is it and how can I fix it so I can run again?

Symptoms:  Pain in my left side after I run. The pain seems to be focused at the high edge of the iliac bone but is a few inches wide and feels deep.

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.
Read an understood your history and concerns.

You have pain at the high edge of the iliac bone, it is is deep, few inches wide on the left side and after short runs of 3 miles or less. You have been running for couple of years, but the pain has arisen for the last month or so.

Such pain can occur due to the following reasons:
If the area of pain is same every time, this indicates that there may be a repetitive stress/strain injury. Running is causing the same stress/strain at the sore spot/area as the movements will be same and repeated. The next run causes it to get enhanced.
Other possible cause can be a trauma of the iliac bone or so.

To be on the safe side get an X-ray of the pelvic bones just to rule out any bony problems.
I would also advise you to get a clinical evaluation, examination and investigations done by an Orthopedic Surgeon, get a proper prescription as per the findings and stop running till you get cured.

I hope this answers your query and helps you.