Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hit by line drive – Is my foot broken?

Hit by line drive – Is my foot broken?

Patient: I got hit by a line drive on the top on my right foot last week. It hurt at the time but the next day it felt fine. when I woke up this morning my foot was very swollen and I can’t walk on it. I have not injured my foot since the initial injury.

Doctor: In my opinion you should get your foot examined by your doctor or if possible an orthopedic specialist for the condition of the skin, presence of pulses, circulation, sensation and movements in the area. There may be several reasons for the swelling like inflammation of the soft tissues or bone, injury to the blood vessel, cellulitis or a stress fracture etc. all of which needs clinical examination and investigations including Xrays or MRI for accurate diagnosis.In my opinion you should get your foot examined by your doctor or if possible an orthopedic specialist for the condition of the skin, presence of pulses, circulation, sensation and movements in the area. There may be several reasons for the swelling like inflammation of the soft tissues or bone, injury to the blood vessel, cellulitis or a stress fracture etc. all of which needs clinical examination and investigations like Xrays or MRI for accurate diagnosis.