Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hit My head and bright yellow stuff dumped out my nose

Hit My head and bright yellow stuff dumped out my nose

Patient: A Few weeks ago i wrecked while Mt biking and hit the back of my head with enough force to crack the back of my new 130 dollar helmet wide open. About 20 minutes ofter my crash i leaned over it grab a tool and a large amount of bright yellow fluid (with a consistency of water) began to pore out my nose. I know it was not “CSF” because it was yellow not orange, and im not dead. And I was not sick any time before or during that time. So it was not sinus drainage. So… What was this yellow stuff and should i be concerned at all?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that this yellow discharge from your nostrils could indeed have been a large amount of mucus or even CSF. The color and consistency of this can vary from person to person depending on circumstances. We recommend that you report to your doctor and have a full neurological head and neck examination performed. It would also be wise to conduct a CT scan of your head to rule out any fractures, concussions, or intracranial bleeding. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com